Plaza OB/GYN’s fertility doctors diagnose and provide infertility treatment options to women in the Houston area.
Infertility affects roughly 10% of all couples in the country. There are many conditions in both men and women that can lead to infertility. Factors such as sperm quality, egg release during ovulation, blockage of sperm and egg connection, or prevention of fertilized embryo from implanting and growing in the uterine cavity. Endometriosis and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are additional conditions that can lead to infertility. Our expert doctors are here to help.
Diagnosing Infertility at Plaza OB/GYN
At Plaza OB/GYN, we do extensive evaluation to pinpoint the issues that can be causing your infertility. Infertility specialist Dr. Balat and our other fertility doctors discuss with couples potential issues causing infertility. Our physicians will begin the diagnostic process by performing:
- History and physical exams to check any signs or symptoms of endometriosis among other factors
- Test for ovulation, which includes blood work on certain days of the patient’s cycle
- Sperm analysis to check the male factor
- Studies to rule out any anatomical problems, including ultrasound to check for fibroids and HSG (hysterosalpingogram) to check the shape of the uterus and patency of the tubes
- Sometimes laparoscopy (outpatient surgery) is needed, as well
- Tests to check whether or not implantation can be supported, including blood work and possible biopsy
After all of the studies are done, Dr. Balat consults with couples to easily explain the findings and recommend an appropriate plan of action. While many factors influence both male and female infertility, all aspects will be reviewed and a detailed plan will be provided to solve the issues.
Infertility Treatments Options
A plan to start solving infertility can involve medications, surgery, or both. Dr. Balat reviews the chances of success with the patient and explains the time it may take to achieve pregnancy. A remarkable 80 and 85 percent of infertility cases can be treated by our specialists with medication and surgery. Dr. Balat offers a wide range of medications along with several surgical options that can correct the problems leading to infertility. Some of these options include:
- Ovulation induction
- Steps to improve sperm quality
- Intrauterine insemination
- Laparoscopic surgery to correct any physical factors like adhesions or endometriosis
- Removal of fibroids if required
Our procedures allow the patients to be conveniently evaluated and treated in one place, under close supervision. Only 10 percent of infertile couples will require more sophisticated methods like Invitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment, in which case Dr. Balat will refer these patients to one of the several IVF clinics in the greater Houston area. At Plaza OB/GYN, Dr. Balat and his associates take pride in helping infertile couples find the cause of their infertility and give them all of the treatment options they need to achieve a successful outcome.
For three decades, Plaza OB/GYN has provided Houston women unparalleled care from our nationally renowned doctors, creating a safe and nurturing environment for gynecological and obstetrics care.